Learning from the past, living in the moment, and leaving footprints for the future. Stories of lov

Friday, July 29, 2011

Epitaph: "Nevermore"


In the early 1970's I worked for an Insurance Company.  We put out a monthly newsletter for our dozen or so salesmen to keep them abreast of product changes, personal employee announcements and to inspire and rally sales.

Our ancestors didn't have life insurance. Once widowed, women remarried to have a man provide for them by whatever means, and the men remarried to have someone cook, clean, sew and raise their children.  It was called survival.

 This was the very first poem I ever wrote.  Obviously I was inspired by Edgar Allen Poe.

Epitaph:  "Nevermore"
by Kathryn Smith Lockhard

I went tapping on your door
to protect your wife and son.
"I save my pennies one by one,"
quote the young man, nevermore.

I went tapping on your door
all for your financial cure.
"Can't afford it to be sure,"
quote the young man, nevermore.

I went tapping on your door
security worries love ones fear.
"Maybe one day end next year,"
quote the young man, nevermore.

I went tapping on your door
once again to make my plea.
Widow cried out, "Don't you see"
man to answer nevermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...